Bubblets is easy to learn, yet difficult to master. The objective is to align similar bubbles in order to form large blocks of bubbles before bursting them. The more bubbles in the block before they are bursted, the greater number of points you will receive.
In order to burst a bubble, the bubbles must be connected to other similar bubbles on the playing board. If you click on a bubble that is connected, those connected bubbles will be highlighted and a new bubble will pop up, displaying that block’s potential bubble points. Click on your selection again in order to burst the bubbles. All bubbles above your bursted block will now fall down.
If you manage to leave fewer than 5 unbursted bubbles on the board you will be rewarded with more points at the conclusion of the game.
Moves in Bubblets can be undone. To take back the last move you have made, click the Undo menu item.
In MegaShift and Continuous game styles, there is a “next” column. That is, after you burst enough bubbles to clear a column on the left of the screen, this next row will take its place (only vertical instead of horizontal). It’s easier to see in Continuous mode since the bubbles don’t shift after being placed…here’s a brief example where “xy” is the “next” column.
Continuous 1) ooo oooo ooooo ------ 2) ooo x oooo yooooo ------ MegaShift 1) ooo oooo ooooo ------ 2) ooo x oooo yooooo ------ 3) ooo xoooo yooooo ------
Bubblets allows you to vary your playing experience. To set your options, do the following:
- Pop up the Game menu.
- Select the Options item.
- Set the controls to the desired setting.
- Play Sounds: control to set whether or not you want Bubblets to make sounds
- Confirm End Game: control to set Bubblets to pop up a confirmation dialog when the ‘End Game’ menu item is selected
- Guest Mode: check this to enable guests to play without affecting the statistics
- Game Style: here you can set the type of game you would like to play (changing the style affects new games started after making the change):
- Standard – the default mode of play where there is a set number of bubbles that will not increase
- Continuous – in this style, whenever a vertical set of bubbles has been bursted and the remaining bubbles have shifted over to the right, a new randomly selected column of bubbles will pop up on the left, thereby allowing a game to be played for an extended amount of time
- Shifter – in this style, when a set of bubbles has been bursted, all remaining bubbles to the top and left will shift down and to the right
- MegaShift – this style is a combination of the shifter and continuous styles in that bubbles will shift down and to the right while empty columns will fill on the left
Bubblets records all your statistics for each playing style. In order to view your statistics, do the following:
- Pop up the Game menu.
- Select the Statistics item.
The statistics recorded are:
- Games – total number of games played
- Average – average score across all games played in that style
- High – high score for that particular style
If you would like to reset all your statistics, click the Reset button and confirm the resulting dialog.
Bubblets is shareware. In order to play Bubblets for more than the 15 day trial period, you must register. Registration is easy!